Sunday, August 5, 2012

Kreamy Tomato Gazpacho: Cold Soup in Minutes for Souper (Soup, Salad & Sammie) Sundays

Although I eat all kinds of soup, all year round living in a warm climate, summer is the time when cold soups really catch my eye. Not just for how refreshing and cooling they are, but also for their ease in prepping. This Kreamy Tomato Gazpacho is another of the many soups featured in Ani's 15-Day Fat Blast from raw foods chef Ani Phyo. (Like this Curried Zucchini Cucumber Soup.) You can have it ready to go in a matter of minutes making it perfect as a light lunch or a dinner starter, especially on a warm day when the last thing you want to do is spend time in the kitchen.


Ani says, "You might think that blending almonds in a tomato soup would work too well, but think again. These health-promoting beauties, combined with the coconut oil, give this gazpacho a creamy richness that is to live for."


Kreamy Tomato Gazpacho
Ani's 15-Day Fat Blast, Ani Phyo 
(Makes 2 Cups, 1 Serving)

1 cup tomato, chopped, about 1 whole, any type
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
1 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
1 Tbsp miso, unpasteurized, any color
1/4 to 1/2 tsp garlic, minced, to taste
1 cup filtered water, as desired
1/8 tsp cayenne powder or 1/4 fresh jalapeno to taste

Place all ingredients, including cayenne or jalapeno if using, into a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Enjoy immediately.

Soup will keep in fridge for at least 3 to 4 days sealed in an airtight container. 


Notes/Results: Cool and creamy with good tomato flavor. I used some small cherry tomatoes giving it a light sweetness that works well with the miso and almonds. I also used a pinch of smoked paprika with a pinch of cayenne to give it a little pop. It's a soup that feels indulgent but is easy and healthy. I'll make this again.


We have a few friend in the Souper Sunday Kitchen this week--let's take a look.



My pal Joanne of Eats Well With Others is here with a colorful Latin Corn Soup and says, "Pink radishes, jewel yams and white corn with a swipe of magenta across it's kernels that I kinda sorta want to make a necklace out of and/or bedazzle everything I own with... I'm not usually one to pigeon-hole my foods into stereotypical gender roles...but this soup is kinda girly, don'tcha think? Which is not to say that it's delicate or devoid of the kind of heft that is needed to convince males that soup for dinner really is a viable option."



Debbie of Easy Natural Food has both a soup and a salad to share this week. Her soup is this lean, green Curried Zucchini Soup and Debbie says, "I decided to turn a particularly gigantic zucchini into soup. Curried soup to be precise, because that’s exactly what I happened to be feeling like. I was so happy with the way it turned out, even my husband who’s not nearly into soup as much as I am liked it!"


For her salad, Debbie made this Peachy Chicken Salad and says, "I wanted to make a salad that celebrated peaches, because the peaches have been so good this year, we just can’t get enough of them! They are firm, juicy and incredibly flavorful. I’ve been buying them at either our local farmer’s market or a local orchard store, both have really good prices for organic peaches."



Sue of Couscous and Consciousness brings Chilli-Lime Mussels and Broad Bean Salad with Green Olive Dressing this week. Sue says, "You could be forgiven for thinking that sounds like a rather unusual combination of ingredients.  Indeed I though the same thing myself when I first came across the recipe which inspired this post.  ...I have been wanting to share my recipe for Chilli-Lime Mussels with you for ages.  So I decided to take Rick's green olive dressed broad bean salad (to which I also added some avocado) and to serve that as an accompaniment to the mussels.  I knew the two would work well together, and the chilli lime seasonings added to the mussels echo those in the salad."



Finally we have one lovely sandwich from Janet of The Taste Space, this Balsamic Marinated Cherries, Rosemary Cashew Cheese and Arugula Sandwich. Janet says, "First, I marinaded cherries in maple-sweetened balsamic vinegar. Then I made a rosemary-infused cashew spread. A handful of my backyard arugula tops a maple pumpernickle (sourdough rye) bread that I picked up in Calgary. The contrast in flavours worked really well together, although I had a hankering for a more sour cashew spread. I think I need to find some probiotic capsules to help me with that… Next time!"



Thanks ladies for sharing your wonderful and diverse recipes this week! If you have a soup, salad or sandwich that you would like to share, just click on the Souper Sundays logo on my sidebar for all of the details.

Have a happy, healthy week!
 

7 comments:

  1. This tomato soup is so creative, and I just love how you've styled it.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hot, hot, hot in Seattle today, if you can believe it! I've just made your gazpacho, forgetting that my new high-tech blender warms up soup on the soup setting! So I've just put some bowls of it into the freezer to cool it down as fast as possible. We love the flavor of it warm and I can imagine doing this in winter, too. Can't wait for it to cool down so I can try it this evening. I can't believe I had all the ingredients needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on a gazpacho kick, I love it. I'll have to try yours, it looks delicious, very creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made gazpacho this past weekend!  It was so refreshing. I love the idea of pureeing some almonds into it for that creamy texture!  Lovely round-up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read through that Ani's new cookbook as well and I am glad to hear even the most simple soups still turn out fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pretty orange color, and it sounds so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)