Friday, June 8, 2012

Zucchini-Mushroom Tacos with (SoyRizo) Chorizo (Tacos de Calabacitas y Hongos con (o sin) Chorizo (SoyRizo)

I have been a bit absent from the blogging world as of late due to extra work and projects. Not much time for cooking, so to make something for our Wrap it Up! theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs, I looked for an easy, healthy recipe that I could throw together and stuff in a soft tortilla. The Zucchini-Mushroom Tacos with (or without) Chorizo or Tacos de Calabacitas y Hongos con (o sin) Chorizo from Mexican Everyday, was right on the money. To keep it meat-free, I used a soy-based chorizo that tastes and cooks up surprisingly close to the real thing. These are satisfying and really tasty--another Rick Bayless recipe win.


Rick says, "Zucchini tacos are a tradition in the homey taco stands that specialize in tacos de guisados--guisados, in this instance being old-fashioned economical stews made from ingredients cut small enough to fit in a soft tortilla. ... A quick saute, starting with the rousing flavor of Mexican chorizo and dolled up with smoky chipotle chile, shows off the sexier side of zucchini."



Zucchini-Mushroom Tacos with (Soyrizo) Chorizo
Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless
(Serves 4)

4 oz fresh Mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed (about 1/2 cup) (I used El Buritto Soyrizo) 
1-1/2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil, if needed (I used 1 Tbsp)
1 medium white onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
3 oz mushrooms, stemmed and sliced about 1/2 inch thick
1 (15-oz) can diced tomates in juice (preferably fire-roasted), drained
1 canned chipotle chile en adobo, seeded
1-1/2 tsp chipotle canning sauce
2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup (2-3 oz) crumbled Mexican queso fresco or other fresh cheese like feta or goat
12 warm corn tortillas (I used a whole wheat-corn combo)
hot sauce, for serving

If using chorizo, lay it in a very large (12-inch) skillet and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring regularly and breaking up clumps, until cooked through, about 4 minutes.

If the chorizo has rendered considerable fat, tip off and discard all but enough to lightly coat the pan; if it has rendered very little--or if you're not using the chorizo--add the oil to the skillet and raise the heat to medium-high. (SoyRizo doesn't render any oil so I used 1 tablespoon to cook the onions.) Add the onion and cook, stirring regularly, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook about 2 minutes more, stirring regularly, until their liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are beginning to brown.

While the mushrooms are cooking, pour the tomatoes into a food processor or blender. Add the chipotle chile and its canning sauce and process until smooth.

When the mushrooms are ready, add the tomato mixture and cook, stirring regularly, until the mixture has thickened to the consistency of canned tomato sauce, about 3-4 minutes. Add the zucchini and continue to cook, stirring every once in awhile, until the zucchini is cooked through but still a little crisp, 8-10 minutes. Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon (more if not using chorizo).

Scoop into a bowl and garnish with the crumbled cheese. Serve with the warm tortillas and hot sauce for everyone to make soft tacos.



Notes/Results: Mmm... First off, these smelled incredible while cooking and the taste lived up to the wonderful aroma. These tacos are a great combination of nicely spicy and smoky and satisfying with the zucchini and mushrooms. I could have omitted the chorizo but I had a package of El Burrito SoyRizo that I had been wanting to try, and I am glad I did. Such great flavor and a decent ingredient list and less fat than regular chorizo. I think you could easily sneak these in on confirmed carnivores and no one would be the wiser. My week did not allow the patience or time to make my own tortillas, so I used a store-bought whole wheat-corn combination soft tortilla that I like. But... I can't believe I forgot the cheese! I even had some goat cheese that I was going to use. I blame my crazy week. I did remember about halfway through consuming the first one, but there was no way I was going to retake the photos. The tangy cheese adds a nice creamy contrast, so unless you are deliberately wanting to be vegan or dairy free, I would add it in. Great flavor and easy to toss together, I will make these again.



You can check out what the other IHCC participants "wrapped up" by going to the post and following the links.

 

Happy Aloha Friday!
 

9 comments:

  1. these look great without cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even notice the missing cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look fabulous!  We make a lot of zucchini tacos in the summertime. Simple, abundant, and oh-so-tasty.  While I love my chorizo, I'd be up for trying this soyrizo...you know, for the purpose of experimentation ;P.  Pass me a taco!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow! those look delicious! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love wraps! These sounds good with zucchini, one ingredient that is not often used in my kitchen. Got to try this one day! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mushroom-zucchini combo sounds fantastic.  Don't tell anyone, but even though I love chorizo I think I may like soyrizo even more.

    No cheese needed here--looks perfect as is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After seeing both you and Michelle use the soyrizo I really want to give it a try.  These tacos look terrific, Deb!  I'm adding this recipe to my "to try" list. 

    You've been a really busy lady lately.  Hope you get some time to relax soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! Soy chorizo - who knew? I had vegan sausages for my Mother's day brunch with Mel in a funky little downtown diner - I thought of you. ☺♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has to be El Burrito Soyrizo to make this the best. Trust me! Four star recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)