Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mexican Beans with Chorizo (SoyRizo) and Greens (Frijoles con Chorizo y Espinacas o Acelgas): SoyRizo Strikes Again!

Holy Frijoles! Beans are the theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs this week. I loves me some beans--especially creamy slow-cooked pinto beans--but, soaking and long cooking times didn't fit into my week. Instead, I opted to use up my other half-package of SoyRizo from last week's Zucchini-Mushroom Tacos with Chorizo and make a veggie version of Rick's Mexican Beans with Chorizo (SoyRizo) and Greens (Frijoles con Chorizo y Espinacas o Acelgas from Mexican Everyday. Quick to the table with canned black beans, it's a  stew-like dish that is excellent scooped up in warm tortillas



Rick Bayless says, "When asked what I crave most when traveling in countries other than Mexico, my response is immediate: Beans. I know that the lowly bean may sound to some like an unlikely candidate to inspire cravings, but it's been a staple in my diet since childhood. ... Chiles add seduction for me--especially smoky chipotles or deep, rich anchos. Add greens and fresh cheese, and I've got a meal that's thoroughly captivating. Add chorizo and, well, I'm in fantastyland."  



Mexican Beans with Chorizo (SoyRizo) and Greens 
(Frijoles con Chorizo y Espinacas o Acelgas)
From Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless
(Serves 4)

8 -12 oz fresh Mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed (I used SoyRizo)
10 oz cleaned young spinach (about 10 cups) OR one 12-ounce bunch Swiss chard, thick lower stems cut off, leaves sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch strips (about 8 cups)
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained OR 3 1/2 cups home-cooked black beans, drained
1-2 canned chipotle chiles en adobo, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
salt
1/2 cup crumbled Mexican queso fresco or other fresh cheese such as feta or goat cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onions or thin-sliced red onion, for garnish

In a medium-large heavy pot, preferably a Dutch oven, cook the chorizo over medium heat, stirring regularly and breaking up clumps, until lightly browned and thoroughly done, about 8 to 10 minutes.

While the chorizo is cooking, place the spinach or Swiss chard in a microwaveable bowl, cover with plastic wrap, poke a few holes in the top and microwave on high until completely wilted, usually about 2 minutes for spinach, 3 minutes or so for the Swiss chard. Uncover the bowl and set aside.

When the chorizo is ready, add the beans, chopped chipotles and 1.5 cups water. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon, depending on the saltiness of the of the chorizo and beans. Add the wilted and greens and let the mixture return to a boil.

Ladle into bowls and serve, passing the cheese and onion for each person to add al gusto.



Notes/Results: One tasty bowl of beans. Earthy, slightly smoky with a good kick of spice. Once again I was delighted with what the SoyRizo did to the dish--both the texture and flavor were identical to the meat version. Rick does give a vegetarian variation with onion and garlic, but the soy-based chorizo is fun. The cheese (I used goat cheese), adds a creamy and tangy contrast. I really enjoyed this easy recipe. The only downside was that I just made a half-batch because the leftovers were great too. I will make this again.



You can see the bean dishes of the other IHCC participants by going to the post and following the links.
 

8 comments:

  1. I am now having the BIGGEST craving for this.  Thankfully I have some soyrizo in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pic of the beans all folded up in the tortilla.  Such a tasty little bowl of goodness with all the right ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, me and my tortillas are so ready for these beans. Soyrizo and all!  One of these days when I run into some, I'm definitely trying it! Looks so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks so so so good! nice and hearty! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for soyrizo--I've become a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious! You really got good mileage out of your soyrizo too! I love the shot with the tortilla at the end. Very sexy! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a really fun dish—first time using SoyRizo, and I liked it. 

    It was easy to include more vegetables (I'm trying to eat more nutrient-dense foods = more fruits and vegetables):  I sautéed chopped onions, mushrooms, sweet peppers, padron peppers, and fresh fennel bulb as my first step. 

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)