Friday, June 24, 2011

Peanut Butter "Vice Cream"-Non-Dairy Ice Cream That's Creamy & Delicious

A quick little post with an easy ice cream, or rather "vice cream" as the author calls his dairy-free frozen treats. It's from a little book I bought last year but didn't get around to using, "Vice Cream: Over 70 Sinfully Delicious Dairy-Free Delights" by Jeff Rogers. If all of the recipes are as easy and good as this Peanut Butter one, I have a feeling I will be opening up this book up a lot this summer.


Peanut Butter "Vice Cream"
"Vice Cream" by Jeff Rogers
(Makes about 1 quart)

1 cup organic cashews or cashew pieces
2 cups purified water
1 cup maple syrup (I reduced it to 3/4 cup)
2 tsp alcohol-free vanilla flavor (I didn't have alcohol-free--see note below)
2 tsp alcohol-free almond flavor (omitted)
1 cup smooth natural peanut butter

Combine the cashews, water, maple syrup, vanilla flavor, and almond flavor in a blender. Blend on high until silky smooth, at least 1 minute. With the motor running, add the peanut butter and blend until evenly distributed.

Place the blender in the freezer for 40 minutes to 1 hour or in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to overnight, until well chilled. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight containers and store in the freezer until ready to serve.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip: After the mixture has frozen, fold in 1 cup chilled organic vegan chocolate chips, chopped.


Notes/Results: Surprisingly creamy considering it is made out of ground cashews, with good peanut butter flavor. Since I did not have alcohol-free extracts (which the author specifies you use so as not to interfere with the freezing process), I was worried that my mixture would not freeze well. It was a little loose straight out of the ice cream machine but it firmed up just fine after a few hours in the freezer. The key to making this smooth and creamy is to blend the ever-loving heck out of the mixture, so that it is perfectly smooth going into the ice cream maker. My only complaint is that it was a tad sweet for me--even after reducing the maple syrup down from 1 cup to 3/4 cup. I would probably reduce it down further to 1/2 cup. Otherwise this was a great alternative to a dairy-based ice cream that I will make again.

Have a great weekend!

10 comments:

  1. looks great and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really good! I think if you reduce the syrup further the alcohol in the vanilla won't have as big an impact - I seem to remember that syrup also inhibits freezing a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow crazy. It's like peanut butter flavored cashew butter, almost. But more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all things peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds very interesting. I have no problem with dairy, but a change of pace is always good. Actually variety is the "spice of life", right? (and good for you)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummers! We're attempting to go dairy free so this sounds like a good recipe for us. I've bought coconut milk ice cream and rice dream but they're pretty expensive, and homemade always tastes better anyway. I bet you could substitute almond butter for the peanut butter--we're really getting into that lately. I don't have an ice cream maker--do you think this is possible to make without? Or I might just have to hit Craigslist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it looks so creamy! Color me amazed ;) I could eat a big bowl ful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    Quite eerie I freed my ice cream machine, from my storage room, Thursday.
    You post an ice cream recipe Saturday!
    I have just finished making it. Extremely good!!
    I, also, don't have alcohol free extracts. I used 1/2 cup of Agave Syrup.
    Poured it straight into my machine, within 40 minutes the mix was stalling the ice cream machines mixing paddle.
    It just fills a 32 oz. TJ's yoghourt container with a bit left over for the chef!
    Will try again using coconut water and coconut extract.
    Peanut butter and almond extract are dominant, the cashews don't register, so I guess one could try Almond butter or make one maybe Macadamia.
    Between your and Ani Phyo's writing's, I am beginning to look like a squirrel gathering nuts of all types. Freezers getting full.
    Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a big fan of peanut butter, but this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kat-mahalo! ;-)

    Foodycat--good point! I'll see what happens next time.
    ;-)

    Joanne--it is pretty tasty. ;-)

    Pam--me too! ;-)

    Janie--I agree--I like regular ice cream too but this is a fun variation. ;-)

    Mamatouille--It might be hard to get it as creamy without an ice cream machine but you could try. ;-)

    girlichef--it is hard to stay away from. ;-)

    David--I am glad you liked it. I'll try the agave. The cashews are really just there for the creamy base rather than the flavor--he has many variations in the same kind of cashew nut base. ;-)

    ?--thanks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)