Friday, June 10, 2011

Jamie Oliver's Frozen Fruit Smoothies: Cool, Creamy Strawberry Goodness

I make my fair share of smoothies as I like them for a quick breakfast on the go so I have been wanting to try Jamie Oliver's version of Frozen Fruit Smoothies. Although lots of different ingredients such as flax seed, spinach, peanut butter, chia seeds, maca, kale, etc., end up in my smoothies depending on my mood, Jamie's use quick cook oats and nuts neither of which I have tried in smoothies before. These are an easy pantry item to whip up on a busy day.


I made my version vegan by using unsweetened coconut milk and coconut yogurt.

This recipe can be found in "Jamie's Food Revolution" on pages 306-307

Jamie says, "Smoothies are not only deliciously tasty but they’re also perfect to have for breakfast, as they’re full of goodness. Adding quick cook oats to them is great, because it adds fiber which moves slowly through your body to helps give you more energy for longer. The great thing about frozen fruit is that it’s been picked at its best, at the right time, and hasn’t been forced to grow out of season, like so much of the ‘fresh’ fruit on offer to us these days. It’s also cheaper and far more convenient – it will keep happily in your freezer for months on end, so any time you fancy a smoothie, you can have one!

These smoothies are best made in a blender, as opposed to a food processor, as this will give your smoothies a lovely silky texture. Feel free to use any fruit you like, either one type or a mixture. Raspberries are really tasty and you can use them here, but I tend to stay away from them because of the seeds.
"


Frozen Fruit Smoothies
Adapted from "Jamie's Food Revolution"
(Serves 2)

1 ripe banana
1 glass of frozen fruit of your choice (I used strawberries)
2 heaped tablespoons plain yogurt (I used coconut yogurt)
1 small handful of quick cook oats (not instant)
1 small handful of mixed nuts (I used slivered almonds)
1 glass of soy milk, fat-free milk or apple juice (I used unsweetened coconut milk)
honey to taste (optional)

Peel and slice your banana and put it into a blender with your frozen fruit and the yogurt. Whiz it up and add the oats and nuts. Add the soy milk, fat-free milk, or apple juice and whiz again, until nice and smooth.

If it’s a bit too thick for you, just add a splash more milk or juice and whiz around again. Give it a good stir, then have a taste. Rarely with a frozen fruit smoothie should you need to sweeten it, but if you think it needs a bit of extra sweetness you can add a little honey to taste – you won’t need much.


Notes/Results: Thick, cool and creamy with strawberries and bananas--what's not to like? The oats and nuts were not very noticeable except in texture--the smoothies were not quite as smooth as my normal version but they were still very good. They also had good "staying power"--my breakfast smoothie kept me satisfied well into lunchtime. I may have to add oats and nuts to my smoothie ingredient repertoire. ;-)


These smoothies are my entry for potluck week at I Heart Cooking Clubs. You can see what the other IHCC participants cooked up by going to the Potluck post and following the links.

Happy Friday!

16 comments:

  1. ooh yummy, never tried oats before in a smoothie, sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would never think to add oats to my smoothies, but what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks absolutely wonderful and very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just purchased a new blender that actually makes good smoothies without bogging down. My kids love them! I hadn't thought about adding the oats though... a perfect addition for upping the nutrients. The nuts are a good idea too. I'm going to do that in today's version!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought to add buts to my smoothie but that makes sense. Extra protein. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You might try freezing your ripe bananas...peeled, in a plastic bag for added creaminess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would add some Kale or Spinach to the smoothie that way you are getting your veggies tooooo

    ReplyDelete
  8. During the summer, I eat smoothies for breakfast often. I've never had nuts or oatmeal in them but will have to try it. I can see how that would give added "staying power," which is one downside to having just a smoothie for breakfast. Usually starving and reaching for a snack by 10 AM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kat--they worked really well in it!
    ;-)

    Arlene-thanks! I thought so too. ;-)

    Priya--thank you! ;-)

    Kim--yay on the new blender! Hope you guys like the oats and nuts too. ;-)

    All Things Yummy--I hope you like it! ;-)

    Mark--thanks. These were actually quite creamy enough but I do have a Ziploc of peeled banana chunks in my freezer for smoothies and banana ice cream. ;-)

    Bev--As mentioned in my post I am a big user of kale and spinach in my smoothies but for this one I was going for the pretty pink color for the photos. Don't worry about my nutrients though--I had kale salad for lunch and stir-fry with kale for dinner. ;-)

    Michelle--I am the same way if my smoothie doesn't have nut butter or protein powder I find it doesn't last me long--here the nuts and oats really helped. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding oats and nuts is such a great idea! I always wonder how people stay full with green monsters...but this looks like it has serious staying power!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been eyeing this recipe myself, curious about adding the oats and nuts. I'm glad to hear that it's a smoothie that sticks with you til lunch. Looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea, and so perfect for the heat so many of our peeps have been having. I have a few extra bananas that could definitely benefit from some time in the blender!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to try this with some blueberries. It's looks so good and in the summer what a great easy breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look like they would be great to vary the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so good!
    I make them for my kids during the week when they rush out the door for school, I'll try it with the oats and nuts!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's about time for my smoothie cravings to kick in with summer being in full swing around here. I like the idea of the oats in here for an extra punch of fiber. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)