Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Peppers with Halloumi, Chili and Pine Nuts

Quick dish, quick post. I am having a crazy busy week. "What?" you ask ... "don't you say that just about every week Deb?" Yes, I admit it... I have been saying it a bit too often lately, but this week is just a little crazier than the rest as I am scrambling to get everything together for a meeting/wellness fair on Thursday. So I may not be around visiting your blogs much until I recover on Friday, but I will get there! ;-) Until then, here is a tasty little recipe to enjoy.


This recipe for Peppers with Halloumi, Chilli and Pine Nuts comes from the "Quick Fix" section of Olive Magazine (July 2007), courtesy of the ongoing "great magazine purge" project. I happened upon some 1/2 price halloumi (getting close to the expiration date) in my local speciality store and bought a couple of packages and this seemed like a great way to use it. With a couple of smallish red bell peppers from the farmers market and parsley from my herb pots, it was easy to put together. Although listed as a side dish, I served it as a main dish on top of a lentil-rice pilaf box mix that has been in the pantry for ages and needed to be used.

Peppers with Halloumi, Chilli and Pine Nuts
Janine Ratcliffe, Olive Magazine, July 2007
(Serves 6 as a side dish)
25 minutes

2 red peppers, halved
1 yellow pepper, halved
halloumi, 250 g block, sliced into 6

Dressing:
1 lemon, juiced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, finely chopped
2 Tbsp pine nuts, toasted
1 small bunch parsley, chopped
3 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling

Heat the oven to 200 C (about 400 F). Put the peppers on a baking tray in a single layer. Season, then drizzle with a little oil. Bake for 10-15 minutes until softened. Put a piece of halloumi inside each pepper and grill until the cheese is golden.

Whisk the dressing ingredients together. Serve the peppers with the dressing drizzled over.


Notes/Results: A satisfying mix of the sweet bell peppers, the salty, slightly chewy halloumi, the kick of the chilli peppers, and the slight crunch of the nuts. It goes together easily and tastes great. With the lentil-rice pilaf and a simple green salad it made a satisfying meat-free meal. I will make this again.

How's your week going?

10 comments:

  1. You had me at halloumi! These sound great, Deb...and they're a fun change from our normal fare. Busy is good...no? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with all your goings on my dear! I love turning sides into mains...especially when slabs of cheese are involved. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at haloumi too. I can't get enough of it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halloumi. Sigh. If only I could find some!

    Hope you get to relax soon, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the ladies comments here....change can be good and side dishes as a main dish...yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, that looks simply gorgeous and mouth watering.

    Hey, I was wondering if you saw about "MAITRI - A Friendship Chain" event. If not, please do take a look and try to participate, it will be fun :)

    http://mharorajasthanrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/03/maitri-friendship-chain.html

    Send me an email @ priya.mitharwal@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you have a lot of spring cleaning going on! I'm trying to do the same at my place too. In a way it's kind of fun.

    This is a gorgeous dish. I just love how it's all served up in the pepper. A great reward for all that magazine purging:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing I'd give up meat for is cheese and this dish pairs that with two other favorites--red peppers and pignoli. Lovely to look at and delicious, I'm sure. Be sure to slow down and smell the oleander.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lovely recipe never made Halloumis altho I do believe I've heard of this dish - have my herb garden going hopefully i will be able to use them this summer - When you're back please do stop by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a perfect dish for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)