Saturday, March 6, 2010

Roasted Brown Rice Tea--A "Simple Saturday Sipper" to Help You Find Your Zen Happy Place


After two weeks of cocktails as my "Simple Saturday Sippers" it is time for something a little different, a little healthy and something to help me find my zen happy place after a long day/week. I decided to try the Roasted Brown Rice Tea from "Grub: Ideas for an Urban Organic Kitchen" by Anna Lappé & Bryant Terry. Not actually tea or genmaicha (Japanese toasted brown rice with mixed with green tea), this one is made with just three ingredients; brown rice toasted in a pan until it's nice and roasty, rice milk and pure maple syrup (yes, Natashya, the maple syrup is from Canada) ;-) plus some water.

Bryant Terry says, "I can't decide if I like to drink brown rice tea more for its nutty fragrance or its flavor."


Roasted Brown Rice Tea
"Grub" by Anna Lappé & Bryant Terry
(Makes 12 cups)
Prep Time: 5 min / Cook Time: 15 min

1 cup brown rice
6 cups rice milk
3 Tbsp pure maple syrup, plus more to taste

Roast the rice in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often with a wooden spoon to prevent from burning, until the rice is fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.


Combine the rice, 6 cups of water, the rice milk, and maple syrup in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 15 minutes.


Strain the tea into a pitcher and serve hot in mugs. Have some extra maple syrup on hand for your guests to sweeten their cups as they like.


Notes/Results: Good! It's creamy and sweet with a nutty-roasted flavor. Mild and soothing to the mind and soul. I added a bit of pure vanilla to the tea before serving and liked it even more. I just made a half-batch to try it because I wasn't sure how well I would like it, but I will make more. The tea is also good cold and I may simmer some with green tea and taste it that way. It's a dairy-free drink option that tastes great and is comforting on a cold evening.

Happy Saturday!

15 comments:

  1. sounds good and can't you use the used rice in a rice pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat--I saved it, not sure what to do with it yet. Rice pudding is a good thought. I was also wondering if I could bake it into something. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so creamy! I really like rice milk, so I imagine I would love this. Mmmm good.

    You could maybe bake the leftover rice into a quiche crust (Kevin at closet cooking does that semi-frequently) or into rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I would never have thought to make tea out of rice! Love the photos, and the fat little buddha.
    Yay for Canadian maple syrup!
    Let me know when the rice pudding is ready, num num.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about rice pudding too - I'll bet it would be just fantastic with all that toastiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this-looks very soothing. I suppose it's gluten free too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to try this. You've made me very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting idea.

    I haven't used rice milk before but I'll try to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet this is delicious! I use rice milk in my tea so making a tea out of the rice makes sense. I wonder how it would be with some warm spices like cinnamon and cloves - like a chai blend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your leading picture with the little Budda! I imagine that this is a wonderful drink with a hint of nuttiness from the toasted rice. Not to mention that you already had me with the maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We spent Jan in Maui and I miss being there so. I'm back in NYC...Do you know my pressure cooker books and blog www.pressurecookingwithlornasass.wordpress.com.
    So glad you're spreading the good word about pressure cooking. TX!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds so comforting! I love genmaicha, so I can just imagine how that toasted nutty flavour would work with sweet, creamy ricemilk.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)