Saturday, December 19, 2009

Ginger Tea--A Warming "Simple Saturday Sipper" for Winter

Want to stay well this winter? Thai healing traditions promote staying in sync with the seasons by cooking with seasonal ingredients and "eating to balance the four basic elements of life; earth, water, wind and fire," says Vegetarian Times Magazine. "Winter is dominated by the earth element, so foods that heal right now include "earth" items: buttery root vegetables and warming root seasonings, such as onion, ginger and garlic. Citrus and greens enhance benefits by helping prevent respiratory illnesses." This spicy Ginger Tea is from the January 2010 Vegetarian Times. Ginger is a warming rootstalk with multiple health benefits such as soothing and aiding the digestive system, having anti-inflammatory properties, boosting the immune system, improving circulation and calming the mind. Honey stimulates antibody production, soothes the throat and calms coughs. Together it makes for a "Simple Saturday Sipper" that is both preventative and restorative, as well as delicious.


Vegetarian Times says: "Ginger is Mother Nature's protective cloak, shielding us from sickness on winter days. This tea is very spicy--if it tastes too strong, dilute it with more hot water and honey. Traditional advice is not to drink more than 2 cups of ginger tea a day unless you are using it as a treatment for a bad chest cold."

Ginger Tea
Vegetarian Times January 2010
(Makes 2 Cups)

12 thin slices fresh ginger, pounded with mortar or rolling pin
1 Tbsp honey

Put ginger and 3 cups water in a small saucepan, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20-25 minutes. Strain out ginger slices and discard. Stir in honey, and serve hot. Tea can be reheated if necessary.


Notes/Results: Spicy and good, this is the perfect drink for a cold day or night. It is blanket weather at night here right now and this drink warms from the inside out. I used local ginger and my favorite local honey from Big Island Bees,‘Ohi’a Lehua Blossom. I like the spiciness of the ginger but it can be diluted down easily if you want something milder. A bonus--when cooled down and mixed with club soda and a little lemon, this "tea" makes a wonderful ginger ale drink.


What foods make you feel in balance this season?

8 comments:

  1. Deb... I bet this also has a wonderful aroma. This is a timely post with the East Coast headed for a harsh winter. Many thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paradise actually has blanket weather??? This tea looks wonderful. I didn't realize Ginger had so many health benefits. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE ginger. And have been on such a tea kick lately. Need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything ginger...this sounds wonderful.. And I definitely want to try the cold ginger-ale version, as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was reading your post thinking about how this would also be good as iced tea and then you mentioned a ginger ale variation :D Of course, I love warm ginger tea too and drink it to soothe my stomach often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love ginger tea. So nice for tummies and throats and general anxiety I find.
    My friend Cheryll always calls tea "the drink that soothes". This tea, or tisane I guess, definitely fits the bill!
    Plus your Asian vessels are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds so good! And so simple too. Ginger tea became a habit for me while in Brazil. They make a drink in the winter there with wine, mascavo sugar, ginger and peppercorns. I started cutting the wine out and using only water and it turned out great. I love that warm ginger on the back of my throat.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)