Friday, May 29, 2009

Stuffed Baby Eggplant for Tyler Florence Fridays


After finding some baby eggplant at the Thai market, I wanted to find a great recipe to use them in, so of course I went to Tyler. He had two recipes that I was torn between, in what is probably my favorite Tyler cookbook; Eat This Book: Cooking With Global Fresh Flavors. (In addition to the great recipes in this book, sometimes I just like to stare at the cover!) 


The first recipe had the eggplant sliced in a curry sauce and then there was this one for Baby Eggplants Stuffed with Lamb, Lemon and Mint, made with ground meat, tomato and spices. I had a tough time choosing, but the idea of stuffing the little eggplant won out. Ground lamb is a bit "hit or miss" to find here, so I used some ground buffalo which is rich tasting, leaner than lamb and has lots of protein. 

This recipe can also be found at the Food Network site (as Stuffed Baby Eggplant from Food 911) here, and is on page 58 of Eat This Book.

Tyler says: "Lamb and eggplant is a combination that travels across the culinary map from Northern Africa to the Mediterranean and the Middle East. This is my take on a Turkish dish of stuffed eggplants called imam bayildi--stuffed eggplant. If you can't find ground lamb, ground beef or pork will work just as well."


Stuffed Baby Eggplant (with Buffalo, Lemon and Mint)
Tyler Florence
(4-6 Servings)

8 baby eggplants, about the size of a lemon
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 shallots, minced
4 garlic cloves
2 pounds ground lamb* (The book says 1 lb)
3 large vine-ripe tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, reserve some for garnish
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
1 lemon, juiced
3/4 cup chicken stock
1 lemon, sliced paper-thin

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Using a paring knife, cut a wedge out of each eggplant, from stem to base, just large enough to stick a spoon inside and scoop out the flesh inside. Discard the flesh you scoop out.

Coat a large saute pan with the oil and place over medium flame. Lightly fry the eggplants on all sides, until slightly charred and blistered; remove to a platter and set aside.

Return the pan to the heat and add the shallots and garlic, saute for 5 minutes, until soft and golden brown. Add the ground lamb to the pan and brown the meat well, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Stir in the tomatoes, combine well, and let simmer for 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Toss in a couple of handfuls of the parsley, the mint, and lemon juice; continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the stuffing cool slightly. Using a spoon, stuff the lamb filling into the eggplants until they feel full, but not overly packed.


Arrange the eggplants in a single layer in a large saucepan, pour the chicken stock over them and lay the lemon slices on top of each eggplant, drizzle with some more olive oil. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until fork tender.


Garnish with fresh parsley before serving.


Notes/Results: Yum! I loved the lemon and mint and the way it complimented the ground meat, tomato and eggplant. There were no pictures of this dish and I wasn't quite sure how it was supposed to look so I just went for it. My baby eggplants were a bit smaller than lemons (as the recipe specifies), they were more like small limes so I watched the cooking time carefully so as not to have "mushy" eggplant, (A pet peeve of mine). I baked these for just about 20 minutes and they seemed right. I also cut the stuffing recipe in half and still had just a bit leftover from my eleven little eggplant. A note; the Internet recipe above, makes a larger quantity of stuffing than then book does, (the book calls for 1 lb lamb, two tomatoes, 1/2 bunch of parley, etc.) and the book's proportions make more sense based on the size and amount of eggplant you are stuffing with the mixture. 


These were great served with some leftover Israeli couscous  and raita (cucumber-yogurt sauce), that I made from a cookbook I am reviewing, (will post that review early next week). I think that with the smaller eggplant, they would also be fun as an appetizer, passed on little plates. The flavor was good, but I think next time, I would add some cayenne or some hot pepper to the mix--just for a little pop. My raita had some spice and it really added to the flavor. Not the prettiest dish in town but it is tasty and I would make them again. And BTW, since I had such a hard time choosing between this recipe and the curry dish, I bought some more eggplant today and will be making that dish for next week. 

You can see what recipes the other Tyler Florence Friday participants selected for this week and what they thought of them by going to the TFF website here.

Happy Aloha Friday!  Have a great weekend!

21 comments:

  1. They are the cutest little eggplants that I have ever seen!
    Adorable!
    The flavour combo sounds great, I am with you on kicking it up though. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the stuffed eggplants are topped with lemon and parsley. Your photo is beautiful. And, I agree with you about just staring at the cookbook cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look beautiful, don't know that I ever would have tried that recipe (though I've stared at the cover many times)...but you make it look & sound amazing, so I may just have to. Somehow this week got by me and my Tyler recipe sat there un-made, so I'll just have to look this week :( oh well! ...and I love that you used buffalo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds so good and loved the pairings too! can't wait to see the curry :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love eggplant, so that's a recipe I would really like to try. And they're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fortunately, even in this small community I'm able to get the small eggplant at our Chinese market. This sounds like a really interesting recipe and that's such a gorgeous photo of TF that I applaud you for getting past it and actually making a recipe from the book :-). Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lamb but your substitution of buffalo sounds divine! Fantastic presentation and serving it with raita and Israeli couscous makes for a perfect plate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is truly beautiful Deb! I love little stuffed eggplants! Tyler is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm, those eggplant look delicious. This is a nice one to keep for grill season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so hard to find those baby eggplants. They look absolutely delicious. I love stuffed eggplant, though I've only made it Italian style. I would like the ground buffalo better than the lamb. Great plating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The baby eggplants are adorable! I like your sub of buffalo over the lamb, and a little bit of spice would be great. I'm putting these on my list of Tyler recipes to make!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are just too cute! I buy baby eggplants fairly often, but never thought to stuff them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look just delicious and because of the small size easier for portion control too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deb please check my blog it will make you smile lots of love Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am bookmarking this! I always get baby eggplants from my CSA and I never know what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks beautiful. I love the layers of eggplant and lemon -- would be a stunning dinner party centerpiece. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. your food always looks so beautiful with the layering, love it! i wonder if i can find baby eggplants - don't think i've ever seen them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These sound amazing.. and I love to stare at the cover also!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those eggplants are so adorable! I've never had buffalo but have been meaning to try it, it sounds great with all of these flavors. Tyler has good recipes for just about every need!

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)