Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Linguine and Oyster Mushrooms with Gremolata


I found this little treasure of a recipe; Linguine and Oyster Mushrooms with Gremolata, while thumbing through Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson, (a really great cookbook by the way). Since I frequently get oyster mushrooms in my CSA box, I had everything I needed to put it together. I was intrigued by pairing the mushrooms with a gremolata, something I had never considered.


Robertson says: "Gremolata, sometimes spelled gremolada, is a zesty mixture of garlic, lemon, and parsley that brings out the slightly sweet flavor of the oyster mushrooms in this recipe. A garnish often sprinkled on Italian stews such as osso buco, this Milanese seasoning is paired here with pasta to good effect."

Linguine and Oyster Mushrooms with Gremolata
Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson
(Serves 4)

1 pound linguine
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 1/2 cups oyster mushrooms
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup gremolata (recipe follows)

Cook the linguine in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 8-10 minutes. While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until they begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Drain the pasta and place in a large, shallow serving bowl. Add the mushroom mixture, the remaining 3 tbsp olive oil, and the gremolata and toss gently to combine. Serve at once.

Gremolata
Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson
(Makes about 1/3 cup)

Robertson says: "Gremolata is a flavorful garnish made with lemon, garlic, and parsley. It can be used to enhance certain stews, pastas, and sauteed dishes. I sometimes add 2 Tbsp of ground nuts or seeds for extra flavor and substance."

1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
grated zest of 1 lemon

Mince the parsley, garlic, and lemon zest together until well combined. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to use. For the best flavor, use the same day it is made, but it will keep for a day or so in the refrigerator.


Notes/Results:  Wonderful! The paring of the mushrooms with the zesty, lemony gremolata is fantastic. It goes together simply and quickly and is a filling and satisfying dish. I didn't change anything, other than omitting about half of the olive oil and using a quinoa linguine, I had on hand. (A cooking tip for alternative pastas like rice, spelt or quinoa, is to always cook them a little less than the package says so they stay firm. Even slightly overcooked, I find that they turn into a pile of mush. This was perfect at just about 6 minutes). I was thinking as I was eating this dish that the only thing I would change is to add some toasted pine nuts for a little added texture. I will make this one again.



I am submitting this recipe to Presto Pasta Nights, being hosted this week by Aquadaze of Served with Love. For some odd reason, I have never taken part in this event or really ever checked it out, even though it just turned two years old. I got a nice comment from PPN's creator, Ruth and decided to take a look. I am glad I did as it is a great event and there are some really yummy looking pasta recipes in every round up. The round up for this week will be posted on 3/27. 

10 comments:

  1. This does sound mighty good! I wish our CSA's were able to go year-round...ours usually start in April/May and go through Sept/Oct...ah, Hawaii....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gremolata! Tyler turned me onto it a couple of months back.
    Your dish looks delish! I am putting this book on my wishlist... enabler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah...you are an enabler! This is nicely plated...sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious! and a great way to use the veggies you receive from your CSA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds very flavourful Deb. Thanks for sharing it with PPN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm oyster mushrooms are a variety that I haven't tried yet, as I've only recently realized that I actually do like mushrooms. The flavors in this look so fresh, though. Presto pasta is a great event, glad you've discovered it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks simple and fabulous! I know that I would love it (although I'd be so tempted to douse it with parmesan like I do everything else, which would undo the wonderful vegan aspect of it . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You get oyster mushrooms in your CSA box!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything about this looks good! I usually use gremolata in slow-cooked meat dishes, but it would give so much zest to pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great dish, thanks for finally joining Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)