Saturday, August 16, 2008

"Barcelona" Crescents--Olive Oil, Chocolate and Sea Salt


A combination of work, watching the Olympics, needing to re-stock the refrigerator and just life in general have made it tough for me to kick it back into gear with cooking and posting this week. It seems like I have eaten a lot of meals out (but nothing so spectacular to make me want to take pictures of it) and have not cooked much. I thought I should post something while waiting for some inspiration and initiative to strike and I made these the night my fridge crashed (comfort was needed!). I bought a can of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls because I had a random idea for them that I wanted to try. In New York, I tried a wonderful thing at The Chocolate Bar called a Barcelona--which was a baguette with olive oil, chocolate and sea salt. Loving it so much, I made it into Barcelona Bites for Stephanie's Blog Party (you can find that post here). I started thinking that it would be a good combo inside some flaky pastry as well and not wanting to make pastry myself, thought I could put them in a crescent roll to "test my theory".

I whipped these babies out with some organic semi-sweet chocolate chips, a nice fruity olive oil and a light sprinkle of some sea salt. Then rolled them up and baked them following the package directions. (I also sprinkled a little sea salt on top of the crescents before I baked them).

The Results: The combo is unbeatable and just as tasty inside pastry as it is on a baguette. They were delicious as an after-dinner treat all nice and melty, and good the next day for breakfast too. I think it would be delicious in a puff pastry as well. It's a quick and easy chocolate fix when you want something sweet and salty.

6 comments:

  1. Deb:
    YOu need to hang on to this recipe and enter it in the Pillsbury Bake off for 2010. I'm serious! I've been twice and it's a ton of fun. That's a great and unusual use of their product, turning something low brow in to a high quality European treat. They look delicious! I had something similar at a bakery in Israel (chocolate and olive oil in pastry but not salty) and it was delish. I can only imagine how good it with be with some salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, all those gourmet ingredients and pilsbury rolls. If you say it's good - I believe you.
    Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, I've got to try these! It's so simple and looks so tasty. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat--easy but good

    Prudy--I never thought of that!

    Natashya--it is my version of jeans and pearls! ;-)

    Teresa--very simple, very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love it when kitchen theories work. Even when you fail, you learn something. Would rather end up with something delicious, of course.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)