Sunday, July 20, 2008

Maccha Salt and Maccha Poached Eggs


I bought Eric Gower's The Breakaway Cook when it came out last year but hadn't cooked from it much. I made the Maccha Salt, one of his "Five Flavored Salts", and used it quite a bit with fish and vegetables and then took the idea and made a curry salt that I use a lot. Other than that I really have not used this book or his The Breakaway Japanese Kitchen, which I also purchased. (My name is Deb and I am a Cookbookoholic... Hi Deb!) That is about to change as I was reading them again looking for a recipe for the Weekend Cookbook Challenge: Farmer's Markets (which I'll post about later in the week) and realized that there are some great recipes in these books.

I tried the Maccha Poached Eggs this morning. I am usually a fruit and yogurt girl for breakfast but once in awhile I do like some eggs and this simple recipe using the maccha salt sounded yummy.

Maccha Poached Eggs
The Breakaway Cook, Eric Gower
-----
Dab of unsalted butter for poaching cups or 1 Tbsp vinegar
4 large eggs, preferably organic
Generous sprinkling of Maccha Salt, (see recipe below)
Generous sprinkling of freshly ground pepper
-----
Butter the poaching cups if you're using a dedicated egg poacher (Eric's favored method). Or bring a pot of water to a simmer, add the vinegar, and carefully crack the eggs into the simmering water. Poach the eggs until the yolks are more or less halfway between liquid and solid, 4-5 minutes for both methods.

Gently turn them out on a paper towel to absorb any excess moisture. Roll them onto a warmed plate and add a few healthy pinches of maccha salt and black pepper. Eat them while still very hot.

In the book, Eric says "There is something almost celestial about the fusion of the green tea and the egg yolks: it's savory, sweet, and salty all at once." I think he is right, a few sprinkles of the maccha salt elevates the eggs to a whole different level, it complements then so well. I somehow ended up not having any vinegar other than some rice vinegar in the house so I poached the eggs in two little covered cups in the microwave. I served them on a couple of pieces of toasted multi-grain baguette, with some cherry tomatoes and as Eric suggests, a strong cup of green tea. A great light, easy breakfast for a Sunday morning. If you don't like poached eggs, I think the salt would be good on any egg--scrambled, fried, hard-boiled, etc. And how good would it be on top of a deviled egg!?


Maccha Flavored Salt from The Breakaway Cook

Combine 1/4 cup sel gris or other coarse sea salt and 1 tsp powdered maccha green tea. Whirl in the blender or food processor for a finer grind. Store in a bowl or small glass jar. (Note: Sometimes I just mix the maccha with a finer, kosher salt--using the same proportions).

I know I said I was going to work towards cooking one thing from each of my cookbooks but there will be more to come from this book and Breakaway Japanese Kitchen this week.

6 comments:

  1. what an awesome tea class! I hope they have it the next time I'm home. These matcha "eggs benedict" sound delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for cooking from my books, Deb! Please ask away if you have any questions at all. So glad you started with the maccha poached eggs, it's symbolic of the entire breakaway approach (excessively simple global combinations that result in lively, vibrant food).

    Take care!

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat--class was so good--I hope you get a chance to go and the eggs were yummy!

    Eric--Love the books and have about 8 recipes tagged already to make. I don't know why i have not been cooking from them until now! I plan on visiting your site too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting uses for green tea. I'm gonna have to say -- the topics on your blog are really interesting to me :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I've been looking for cookbooks with an Asian flair that would be for people like myself that don't know what everything is. :) We've got such variety on Asian ingredients here - these sound perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jude--Thanks! You have some great recipes and topics on your blog too. I want to try the ice cream!

    Michelle--I really like both of his books and he has a website too which is nice. He makes it pretty easy although I had some challenges getting my Baked Tonkatsu porkchops brown enough last night. I have another couple of Japanese cookbooks at home that I'll shoot you the names of too.

    ReplyDelete

Mahalo for visiting and for leaving a comment. I love reading them and they mean a lot!

All advertising, spam, inappropriate (or just plain rude) comments will be promptly deleted. I do appreciate your right to free speech and to your opinion but I'm not into mean, rude, or mean snarky (non-mean snarky is just fine!) ;-)